Part one of this retrospective looking at The Dhole’s House dealt with the origins and early history of the sites development and eventual launch. Here I want to focus on how quickly people started to use the site and how popular it was
Didn’t we do well?
Following the release of the site things started to take off, there were just over 400 registrations by the end of November and another hundred by the end of 2016. I can’t say how many Call of Cthulhu Investigators were created at this time because until August 2017 the date wasn’t recorded.
I could see the that the total band-width or data transferred each month was increasing and tried to keep tabs on what was happening.
Here are the statistics that I can calculate for 2017.
- Accounts created – 2,144
- 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Investigators created – 4,643*
- Character sheet downloads from the ‘Library’ – 11,477**
- Character sheets downloaded by site members – 4,874**
*This figure includes any Investigators made in October to December 2016. **From February 2017 onwards.
By the end of 2018 things had grown, a LOT! Of course there were a lot more options as to what type of Call of Cthulhu Investigator you could create. There was support for the classic 1920’s era, Gaslight and ‘Modern’ as well as Pulp Cthulhu! Pulp Cthulhu had made a great impact on the Call of Cthulhu gaming scene in 2017.
Here’s the headline statistics for 2018.
- Accounts created – 4,870
- 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Investigators created – 10,265
- Character sheet downloads from the ‘Library’ – 25,899
- Character sheets downloaded by site members – 13,905
Here’s the headline statistics for 2019.
- Accounts created – 9,073
- 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Investigators created – 20,663
- Character sheet downloads from the ‘Library’ – 41,853
- Character sheets downloaded by site members – 28,105
It must be said that quite a bit of the upturn in site usage last year was influenced by the streaming of ‘Shadow of the Crystal Palace‘ by Critical Role in July.
Almost 70,000 Call of Cthulhu character sheets that have been downloaded from the site last year, that’s 190 per day, and over 125,000 times in a little over three years, that’s amazing. It’s also a little scary when you take into account how much data that actually is and the fact that so many people have made the choice to create their Investigators on the site. That’s mind-boggling.
Part 3 unpacks these figures.